Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Things that matter.

My sweet friend Karleen died last week after losing a second battle with cancer. Her lovely obituary gives you a tiny glimpse at the strong, positive, talented woman she was.

Another friend underwent a double mastectomy and massive reconstructive surgery on Monday while her husband and two young daughters waited for some good news. No cancer cells were found in her lymph nodes. Hopefully that news is her ticket to a completely cancer-free life.

Brent's little sister Sheri passed away a year ago. We just celebrated baby Ava's first birthday and remembered Sheri's ultimate sacrifice and gift to us.

In case (like me) you have been a bit unfocused lately, anytime is a good time to re-prioritize your time and energy. I'm trying to be a more patient, contemplative, grateful version of myself this week.

4 comments:

Barb said...

I love this post, I too will try a little harder this week to be my best self.

Colett's Corner said...

Thanks for the reminder Rita. I think we can always slow down and appreciate what matters. A friend of mine down the street survived breast cancer. She started a really neat idea. It's called Happy Chemo. Check it out on line happychemo.com

Katie said...

Yes, a VERY good reminder. Time to re-adjust priorities a bit, yet again. I was reading her online guestbook with tears streaming and I don't even know her. She sounds lovely and I'm sending hugs and prayers to you and to all her loved ones.

Amy and Brad said...

Wow, it has been so long since I checked blogs. Sorry to hear about your friend! That is very sad. You're so right - makes one think about what matters and what just doesn't. Love you.