Friday, December 26, 2008

MAMMA MIA!!


I'd been wanting but wary to see this movie for a while. Because I'm a ginormous ABBA fan and I want to see the theatre performance someday, I was worried that the motion picture would be a let down. Not so. I love, love, LOVED it. I was surprised at how well but not perfectly the actors sang. Watching the disc extras about learning to sing the songs gave me a knot in my stomach at times realizing that these people really aren't singers. It's pretty daring to put yourself out there like they did and the authenticity of the voices was great. The scenery was amazing. I didn't know the storyline beforehand and was totally impressed by how the songs and script meshed together--very clever. I loved a lot of the actual story too--the mom's best friends come to support her, the 3 'dads' grow to love their 'daughter' in a short time and the experience changes them, the 'grown-ups' in the film have past regrets and mistakes but have learned and moved on. Just cute and great. I highly recommend it!

6 comments:

Scott said...

Beverly and I saw the stage play in New York City. We enjoyed it. If you like Abba music, this is a must see.

Atkin Family said...

I'm looking forward to watching this - my mom gave me this movie for Christmas . . . along with the nicely framed pictures of the First Presidency . . . thank heavens someone is looking out for my salvation!!

Beverly said...

We actually saw the stage play in Salt Lake City, but it was awesome any way. My favorite part was the 30 minutes AFTER the production when the cast and the audience sang all the ABBA songs together. I sang right along with everyone.

Debbie said...

Looooved this movie too. Ben and I saw it in the theater on karaoke day. The words went across the screen while the audience sang along. It was too much fun.

Since then I've bought a few of the movie soundtrack songs on iTunes. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie too, but then Colin Firth - how can you go wrong?

The Bullknitter said...

I've seen both the broadway play and the movie and loved them both. The movie was cheesy in a cheesy rock video kindof way, but I laughed, I cried and I have a whole new kind of respect for Pierce Brosnan. Talk about out of character. He got lots of criticism, but I take my hat off to him.

Anonymous said...

I loved the movie, too! My sister gave it to my mom for Christmas and we had to watch it before she left to go back home (I'd seen it before, but there's something about watching it w/ my mom and sis that makes it even more fun)...I don't think the men liked it as well as the women... ;)