Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Our next big trip will be to...

LIMA, PERU!

Brent's mom and dad were scheduled to begin their service as missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day in July, 2008. My father-in-law's chronic but managed heart problems began to cause serious concern as their departure date approached and he and my mother-in-law were sorely disappointed when their mission to Peru was not only delayed but likely to be changed to a location within the United States.

I was surprised to see my in-laws continue to train, study, and prepare as though they would go to Peru. The successful surgery and their faith and hard work confirmed what my mother-in-law sensed in the temple one day--that they would still be able to serve in Peru. They are such examples to me of undaunted hope and faith backed by work and prayers. I love them.

We attended their farewell on Sunday and they will enter the Missionary Training Center in a few weeks. You can check out their mission blog for updates if you're interested.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Thank you, Rita, for the kind words. We hope that we can set an example for the whole family in faithful service to the Lord.

Lynette said...

Wow that is very exciting! It sounds like they are anxious to get to work! It is sooo great for grandkids to see their grandparents serving in the mission field! Randy's folk are serving in Houston Texas right now...they work with the mission President and have DEF learned alot especially through all this hurricane craziness! Phew! Pretty scary!!!

Debbie said...

How exciting for them. I have always wanted to see Lima, Peru. I was just talking to a friend from Peru in our Moms Club about Macchu Picchu (spelling?). Maybe someday...Their story was inspiring. I hope Ben and I can be missionary comps in the future.