Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Lists

The lists in my life are always to-do...never to think, to feel, to be. Get started, keep moving, go faster, don't stop. It sounds like a race but this one has no finish line. In fact, 'write a semi-clever blog entry about how overwhelmed I am by the smallest, simplest, STUPIDEST things in a cathartic effort to get over it' topped today's planned tasks--hence, the penned pity party. 'Get all weepy while you do it' was not written next to any check box so I'm not sure what that's about.

My list has grown to such proportion that my regular tricks for work completion are not working...Get started, right??? Just make a list and get started. Begin with something small and go with the momentum. If you have to, add things you've already done to a list and check them off! Start with something big and relish the satisfaction of accomplishment. Do something for yourself so that you are 'full' enough to give your energy to other things. Start with a promise of self-reward for finishing something. N-O-N-E of it is sparking my ignition today or for the last week, in fact.

I've been looking for a quote in vinyl lettering for a spot in my house. "Live the life you IMAGINE" was in the running until I contemplated it more carefully. Wouldn't you imagine that a scoured house could stay clean for 10 minutes, that a small, medium, or large male could hit a 20" oval with his biological sprinkling system, that with 1.5 months notice, a 6th grader could write a simple paper sans parental assistance and/or threats, that a public school employee could leave for the summer without things still lurking on her work to-do list?? The life I imagine is so far from reality right now that my imagining just makes me feel worse, not inspired in the least. I guess I'll have to order a more applicable, individualized quote along the lines of 'Give up all attempts for improvement and aim only to refrain from behavior that might land you on the 10 0'clock news tonight'.

SORRY for the wa wa wa. Aren't you glad you're not married to or parented by me today? Imagine that!!!

10 comments:

Kristen said...

We are all entitled to a little "wa wa wa" from time to time. It's therapeutic.

This too shall pass.

It always does, right?

Colett's Corner said...

Rita start a new list. Here is #1...Have DDP and chat with a friend. You finish it from there. : )

The Bullknitter said...

Still giggling about "a small, medium, or large male could hit a 20" oval with his biological sprinkling system". We are living parallel lives, my friend.

Shelley said...

I feel the same way some days, but what fun would life be if it was smooth sailing all the time, though sometimes it would be nice to find out.

Beverly said...

Don't you hate living in a telestial world!

Amy and Brad said...

What does it say about ME that the "wa wa wa" was just what I needed to read on your blog today?! Reminds me that I'm normal and we're all pretty much in the same boat with this stage of life. Love to read all your 'ups' and have to admit that today I was thoroughly helped along by reading of your 'downs', too! Thanks for being an honest, genuine, amazing person. I love and admire you!

Deanna Quinton Larson said...

Rita, you are so fantastic. Have a good cry if you need to and a big cyber hug ((((( ))))).

bdz132 said...

I'm sorry you are having a tough couple of weeks.

(This is such a well-written post. Even when you are frustrated you are a good writer.)

Jana said...

I love reading about your ups but can very often relate to your downs too. Have a good cry and hang in there! Love your honesty and ability to write how you feel! You are really so much better at handling life than you think you are -- thanks for being an inspiration to us all!!

Debbie said...

I'm with some of the other commenters - reading a post about a down time makes me feel like I'm not crazy or alone. We all feel that way, Rita. And I loved your self-talk about motivation. It sounds just like me lately.

Laughed about the small, medium, or large male...It took me a minute to get it, but loved it.

Things will look up soon. You are great! Love your blog so much!