Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sew Fun

Although my to-do list hasn't shortened since last week's discouraged vent, a sure way to distract me from my own tally of tasks is to get me to do someone else's!

Last week a cute girl in our neighborhood called in a panic. She needed a costume skirt sewn for a play performance that evening. I happily welcomed the opportunity to share my sewing skill since I had so many other non-preferred things I should have been doing! We sewed up a darling black skirt and she and her mom went home relieved. I really do love saving the day for someone :) (A related rant for another time will be my self-deprecating exposition on talent shows...I stink at anything that could be showcased on a stage! Okay, okay, another day.)

It's a mess and a hassle to get out all of my sewing stuff so since my table was newly cluttered, I plowed through some other projects that have been waiting for my attention. The pictures are lousy quality but here's the evidence of a productive couple of days. (Although, the bathrooms still need to be cleaned.)

Black and white flower skirt of cute stretch fabric I found for a steal at $2/yard.
Reversible hobo style bag.
Ugly pants turned less ugly bermuda shorts.
Not cute sundress turned great kick-around skirt.

Aprons, aprons, and more aprons. I can't stop making them. They are darling and are the great gifts for lovers of all things culinary. They might even spur a hater into doing something in the kitchen!

15 comments:

Penny said...

Those aprons are so cute & sassy I love them.... I didnt know you were so talented. Thats were I lack I have no sewing skills. Lucky you!

Janelle said...

Wow! You are amazing! I love all of your creations!!! And yes you are soooooo talented!

Kristen said...

You were busy! Holy cow, I didn't know you could sew. Teach me! I only know how to use fabric glue...

Mandy said...

Awesome Rita!I have a pile of sewing projects waiting on my table too......Why do we do this? oh becouse its crazy and we love crazy right? Even more when the crazy produces such cute and fun stuff!

Amy and Brad said...

I am in total awe of your sewing ability! I have tried and tried...and failed!

PS - I want to order an apron! Those are so cute!

Rockelle said...

would you sell aprons? I would really like a couple. I wear them all the time but Mine are ugly pampered chef ones!
Rita...you are so talented!
I even take Nathan's scout patches to someone else to sew on!
LOL

Shelley said...

I can barely sewn on a button. You probably don't remember my attempts in jr. high in home ec. Not my best work. You are way too talented and I love the aprons also!!

Debbie said...

You are "sew" talented. Love them all - especially the aprons. Katie and I bought patterns for a cute bag and apron. Have yet to make either. I just don't make time for projects these days.

I love to see that homemaker side of you, Rita. I remember what a great Homemaker counselor you were when I was R.S. President! You're quite the Betty Crocker!

Deanna Quinton Larson said...

You are sooo talented!!! I love those aprons! That pink and black is just killer!! I may need one of those ;)

Teresa said...

This is the reason why you were the Home Economics Teacher! Your talent leaves my very envious of you! I wish I could sew a straight line:)

Scott said...

Your of sewing talent and your inability to tell anyone 'no' are a deadly combination. Now the whole world (including me!) wants you to sew them an apron.

Jana said...

Such cute aprons and skirts too Deets! You are sooo talented and I am much envious of your sewing skills! (Remember those awesome stirrup pants with the mile long crotch that I sewed upside-down (don't ask me how I managed that one) from Helen Wilde's home ec class--there's real talent for you!!) Just because a talent can't be performed on stage doesn't make it any less valuable, in fact those gifts are often of greater worth!! Keep on sewing!!!

Rockelle said...

I got an F in Mrs wilde homeec class. I got frustrated with the patternt so I ripped it up and just made that dang skirt. I wore it for years though. BUT an F for not following the pattern.
LOL

Unknown said...

Rita -- I TOTALLY forgot what an amazing seamstress you are!! AND, you speak fluent FRENCH, AND, you have ALEC and two OTHER amazing kids!!! See, now I'M the one rocking in the corner with my thumb in my mouth!!! MAKE ME SOMETHING please or even my doggies -- I love homeade things!! But not an apron -- cause I don't think even something super cute like that could lure me into the kitchen -- but I would love anything else!! C'mon -- I've bought everything else I could want -- so something home sewn would be a HIT!!!! :)

Lynette said...

Okay...those aprons are SWEET!!! Will you share your pattersn? I love them...and am an apron making fool too!!!

You are way talented...and cute too!!! No fair!!!