Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Keeper or a Chucker?


A couple of years ago on our way home from our second home, McDonald's, Kenna asked Brent to open her Happy Meal toy. He told her to wait until we got home but she rebelled complaining, "If I take it home, I might forget about it and then the garbage monster, who is mom (pronounced M-AH-AH-OM), will throw it away."

Guilty as charged. I AM the garbage monster. The most thrilling thing I did today was throw away all the school-made Halloween decorations that were littering the fridge door. Happy Meal toys last about 2.4 seconds before they get tossed in a bag and taken to my school where I give them to students I test or work with. I should attach an apology note to the parent who inherits the clutter. I have accidentally thrown away important things before but not very often and the pleasure I get from de-junking far outweighs the mental drain of piles and buldging storage areas. So, which are you? A keeper or a garbage monster?

4 comments:

Amy and Brad said...

I'm a 'garbage monster', living with 6 'keepers' so I have to be pretty sneaky.

The Bullknitter said...

Are you kidding me? Who posted the picture on facebook of the b-ball team in grade 10? Who kept it all these years? I guess that makes me a keeper.

Kristen said...

Definitely a chucker.

Debbie said...

I'm trapped in the middle - ugh! But I feel so much lighter when I throw things out. It's hard to be a chucker when you're so sentimental. Ben and I like to think of ourselves as organized pack rats at heart.