Sunday, November 18, 2012

Jumping Off the Rocks

When we look back in ten years or so, I think one of our fondest family memories will be jumping off the rocks at the pool at my parents' house in St. George. It is a fun activity in-and-of itself, but it always coincides with fun trips with family and friends.

Alec and Kenna on the rocks, along with their cousins Casey, Nate, Andy, and Cassidy.

It's fun on so many levels. There are different rocks at different heights, so you can have multiple jumpers at the same time and different age kids can jump from the height that they're comfortable with. There is also a waterfall with a small cave hidden behind it that you can swim in to.


My favorite memory of the rocks is from a couple of years ago. Todd and I went to the pool and took a tennis ball. We had fun throwing the ball to each other as one of us jumped off the rocks and tried to catch it in mid-air. There were several other people at the pool trying their own stunts, too. We cheered for each other whenever one of us was successful. One particular stunt we thought of was for me to throw the ball at the rocks at the perfect angle so that it would bounce up in the air just as Todd was falling from above. He tried to catch it just before he hit the water. To add difficulty, he also did a 360 in the air. We tried the trick for about an hour before we finally were successful.

One reason our memories will be so fond is that I don't think we'll be able to do it much longer. If you read the sign in the picture above, you'll see that jumping off the rocks is already against clubhouse policy. But, the policy isn't enforced well at all. I can't think of a time I've been there when there weren't kids jumping off the rocks. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they put them there. Did they really think that if they put a large overhang above the water with easy access that the kids wouldn't jump off of it?!? I imagine that in the not-too-distant future they will either remove the rocks or else start cracking down on kids. It'll only take one broken wrist and they'll get serious about it. In  the meantime, I'll keep a watchful eye on my kids so that it's not one of mine that gets the broken wrist.

4 comments:

Beverly said...

What a cool video. I hope you have fun in St. George this weekend.

Jana said...

Looks like lots of fun!

Scott said...

I think that sign has been there forever. I'll have to check my old photos. In the mean time, have fun there over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Melissa said...

Sounds like you and Todd take jumping off those rocks to a new level!!