Sunday, November 4, 2012

The On-Track System



As part of my attempt to qualify for the Boston Marathon, I've gotten very interested in fitness and weight loss. I have realized that the critical part of a diet isn't the diet, it's the self-discipline to follow the diet. Almost any diet will work if you follow it. It's been my experience and observation that you quit a diet because you get discouraged or distracted, not because you decide not to diet. At the same time, I've been reading a book called Self-Discipline in 10 days. Using some of the ideas from the book, plus other ideas from my father, I formed a self-discipline routine. It focuses on self-evaluation, self-discipline, habit formation, and positive self-talk. I explained it to Rita and she thought it was really good. She thought of a name for the program and encouraged me to write a formal description of it and then have her and other friends and family follow it. Thus the On-Track System was born.

The On-Track System is not a diet or exercise program. It is a system for applying self-discipline to reach and maintain a healthy body weight. It helps you stay on your chosen diet, no matter what that diet might be. I've mentioned the system to a few other people and everyone has seemed interested. The system hasn't been completely formed yet, but it is to the point where others can try it and give me feedback. Hopefully I'll be able to improve the system and document it enough that anyone will be able to follow it.

If it sounds interesting to you, and you are willing to give me feedback, I will send you what I have so far. For now, I have just an outline of the system, plus some daily checklists and other workbook-like materials. In the future I will supplement this with detailed instructions and tips.

Email me or leave a comment below if you want to give it a try.

6 comments:

Zimmerin said...

Russ and I are starting "Body for Life" again this week. We would love to try your system out!

Melissa said...

Sounds like a great system, I would love to hear more about it. Is it just for weight loss or for reaching any goal?? Either way, I'm interested.

Andrea said...

I would love to see this program. I have been struggling, for various reasons, to accomplish a wide range of goals that I have set for myself. I am almost to the point of discontinuing goal setting all together. I'm up for testing out your program!

Russ said...

Yep, I'm in.

bdz132 said...

Missy, it's a routine of daily self-evaluation and planning, along with a reward system. With only minor modifications you could use it to develop just about any habit.

Beverly said...

I got my copy from Scott. Thus far it looks pretty helpful, although I think I lack the self-discipline to follow your self-discipline program!