Monday, November 5, 2012

My Bucket List

You know what a bucket list is, right? It's a list of things you want to do in your lifetime...before you kick the bucket. The term was made more popular by the 2007 movie called The Bucket List. I created a short life's to-do list about 15 years ago and have been refining it ever since then. I've added items here and there and even deleted a couple. I have checked off an item roughly once a year.

I maintain the list using a website called My 50. You can view the list here, including pictures of me completing some of the items. Currently, there are 27 items on my list. Twelve have been accomplished and fifteen remain to be completed. I checked three items off my list within the last six months. This is my list of accomplishments:

  1. Scuba dive
  2. See the Northern Lights
  3. Visit Carlsbad Caverns
  4. Visit Hawaii
  5. Go whale watching
  6. Become a parent
  7. Hike Kings Peak
  8. Own a rental property
  9. Go to an NFL game
  10. Watch a solar eclipse
  11. Hike the Narrows in Zion
  12. Hike Mount Kilimanjaro
The last three items are the ones I most recently accomplished. I've done all twelve items with immediate or extended family.

This is my list of to-do items:
  1. Visit Machu Picchu
  2. Visit Europe with Rita
  3. Qualify for the Boston Marathon
  4. Start a successful business
  5. Get completely out of debt
  6. Visit the Galapagos Islands
  7. Write a book
  8. Patent an invention
  9. Visit Yosemite National Park
  10. Go to an NCAA tournament game
  11. Go to an NHL game
  12. Retire early
  13. Leave a large inheritance
  14. Mountain bike in Moab
  15. Write my life history
 I don't really have any of these items in my sights right now. Do you see one that you think I should do next? Are there any that you would like to do with me??

If you have a bucket list I'd love for you to share it.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

This past summer Nate went mountain biking in Moab while I ran the Red Rock Relay. He didn't train, didn't know what he was doing, and had a fun story afterwards about biking Slick Rock. Maybe he could take you next year...

I love your list!

Beverly said...

YES. Visit Europe (speecifically Spain) and do it with me and other members of the family. Believe me--- you will love this place. It's your one and only chance!!! Just do it.

Scott said...

I love your bucket list. I will share mine on the Zimmerman Gazette.

Russ said...

> Go to an NCAA tournament game

Were you on your mission when we saw BYU at the Huntsman Center as part of the NCAA tournament? I believe it was the year Shawn Bradley played ('90-'91).

> Patent an invention

And I thought you were libertarian? :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.